Questions About “Assault Weapon” Registration & Magazine Declaration

With just about a week left before the December 31, 2013 deadline to register your so-called assault weapons and large capacity magazines, we’re getting a ton of emails with questions like how to fill out certain parts of the forms, or what does or doesn’t need to be registered or declared. I’ll try to answer some of the most common questions here to save time for everyone. If you have a question about the AW/mag registration that isn’t answered here, feel free to ask in the comments and someone will try to help.

Q: Where can I find the forms I need to register my AW or magazine?
A: All the forms you need can be found here:

Q: Do I need to deliver my forms in person, or may I mail them in?
A: You may do either. If you deliver them in person, be aware that the lines may be long.
If you are mailing them in, it is suggested you send them ‘Certified Mail, Return Receipt Requested’ so you have confirmation they were delivered. In either case they must be dropped off or postmarked before January 1, 2014.

Q: What is the address to mail my forms in or drop them off?
A: Mail or deliver completed forms to:
Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection (DESPP),Special Licensing and Firearms Unit,
1111 Country Club Road, Middletown, Connecticut 06457-2389

Questions About the Assault Weapon Registration Form

Q: What do I put down on the 2 lines that ask for certificate number?
A: Nothing. Leave them blank. The state will fill those in when they issue the certificate

Q: What do I enter as ‘Importer’ on the assault weapon registration form?
A: If the firearm was made in this country, or sold through a US division of the manufacturer, then you do not need to put anything. Leave it blank or enter ‘N/A’.
If the firearm was manufactured in another country, it may have been brought into the country by a second company. That company’s name will also be marked somewhere on the receiver or barrel. This is probably most commonly seen with Russian firearms such as Saiga or other AK-styled weapons. Century International Arms is one major importer; you may see it marked as just C.I.A. on your firearm

Q: Where do I go to get my thumb print done for the registration form?
A: There is nothing in the law that prescribes who must do the thumb print, so you may do it yourself. I suggest you practice a few times on a blank paper first before doing it on your form. Here is a good video showing how police do it:
If you don’t think you can do it yourself, you may try your local police department. People have had mixed results with this. Some departments will do it right away, some want you to schedule an appointment, and some may not want to do it at all.

Q: Do I have to register my .22 rimfire rifle as an Assault Weapon?
A: .22 rifles are a bit confusing, because they rushed new bills into law without reading then had to rush another new bill into law to fix their mistakes.
Technically….. by the letter of the law if you legally purchased a .22 rifle in CT BEFORE Public Act 13-3 was signed into law on 4/4/2013 or AFTER Public Act 13-220 was signed on 6/18/2013 and it is still in that configuration (you haven’t added any “evil features” that did not come on the gun) you do NOT have to register.
If you purchased the .22 rifle between those dates, it can have all the evil features you want, but technically they had to be installed in that timespan, and the rifle must be registered if it has more then the permitted 2 “evil features”, one of which is the detachable magazine. So, by the letter of the law, unless the rifle was purchased between 4/4 and 6/18 of this year, it is illegal to have more then 2 evil features, period. In an AR styled .22, that would probably be detachable mag and pistol grip. It doesn’t need to be registered, but it can’t also have more features like an adjustable stock.
If you purchased between those dates, it can legally have more then 2 features (if they were installed during that time), but if it has more then 2 features it must be registered as an Assault Weapon before 1/1/2014.

Questions About the Large Capacity Magazine Declaration Form

Q: What do I put down for:
Make A: The manufacturer of the magazine; if known. If you don’t know, enter “unknown”.
Type A: The caliber of the round you load in the magazine
Capacity A: The number of rounds the magazine holds
Number A: The number of magazines of this exact make/type/capacity magazine you have.



Lots of people are asking about all the various new forms that they need to fill out and submit, so here they are in one place. All are in pdf format.

Firearms Record Request

Assault Weapon Registration

Assault Weapon Sworn Affidavit

Large Capacity Magazine Declaration (with affidavit)

Ammunition Certificate Application (can not be mailed in; must be submitted in person at DESPP, Middletown, CT)

Pistol Permit/Eligibility Certificate Application