Raised Bill H.B. No. 7028, the new “show me your papers” bill I told you about last week is already scheduled for a public hearing this Friday, March 20th (details below). Please attend this hearing if at all possible. Even if you are afraid to speak, you can attend as a show of solidarity. If you can not attend, there is still time to submit written testimony via email. All the info can be found at the end of this post.
If you are attending, please keep a few things in mind.
- No firearms or weapons of any kind allowed inside the building. This includes those credit card knives and keychain knives you may forget you have. There will be metal detectors at the door.
- Because of the metal detectors, expect there to be a line getting in. The line may be long, so get there early to sign up to testify. You need to be in room 2500 before 9:30am to sign up.
- Dress appropriately. Business casual or better. Show respect for the American legislative process, even though you oppose what some legislators are trying to do. No signs or props please.
- Parking in and around the LOB can be limited. Get there as early as possible for the best parking. Parking info and directions to the LOB can be found here.
- When you get there, look for other people with the CCDL logo. We’ll try to have people there to help you and answer any questions. We’ll also have small logo stickers you can wear. Make sure you get one and wear it when it can be seen. It quickly shows the legislators how many people support our positions.
- There is a cafeteria where you can buy breakfast and lunch. After you sign in, you will usually find CCDL members there killing time before the hearing. Stop in and say hi!
- There will be other bills being heard, on other topics, with other people there to testify on them. They may have no opinion about the bills you are there for. Make sure they leave with a good impression of us.
FRIDAY, MARCH 20, 2015
The Judiciary Committee will hold a public hearing on Friday, March 20, 2015 at 10:30 A.M. in Room 2C of the LOB. Public speaker order will be determined by a lottery system. Lottery numbers will be drawn from 8:00 A.M. to 9:30 A.M. in Room 2500 of the LOB. Speakers arriving after the completion of the lottery will have their names placed at the end of the speaker list. Please submit 50 copies of written testimony to Committee staff any day prior to the hearing but no later than 9:30 A.M. in Room 2500 of the LOB. Written testimony submitted by a person(s) or organization(s) which exceeds five (5) single-sided pages per bill or resolution will only be posted on the Judiciary Committee’s website at the discretion of the Judiciary Committee chairs. Testimony received after the designated time may not be distributed until after the hearing. Please email written testimony in Word or PDF format toJUDtestimony@cga.ct.gov. Testimony should clearly state testifier name and related Bills. The Committee requests that testimony be limited to matters related to the items on the Agenda. The first hour of the hearing is reserved for Legislators, Constitutional Officers, State Agency Heads and Chief Elected Municipal Officials. Speakers will be limited to three minutes of testimony. The Committee encourages witnesses to submit a written statement and to condense oral testimony to a summary of that statement. Unofficial sign-up sheets have no standing with the Committee. All public hearing testimony, written and spoken, is public information. As such, it may be made available on the Judiciary Committee’s website and indexed by internet search engines.
SUBJECT MATTER: Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement
H.B. No. 7028 (RAISED) AN ACT CONCERNING THE DEPARTMENT OF CORRECTION, ACCESS TO THE FIREARMS DATABASE BY PAROLE OFFICERS, AND PRESENTATION OF A CARRY PERMIT.