- Written by Chris
- Category: Action Alerts
- Hits: 46
Governor Malloy and the Connecticut Democratic Party have been turning the 2nd Amendment and the 14th Amendment into a partisan issue. They are implying that only Republicans support the 2nd Amendment. Since CCDL is a nonpartisan organization, we are asking CCDL members to call and email those Democrat legislators we have previously endorsed, and ask them to speak out and oppose Governor Malloy's intention to sign an executive order that would violate both the 2nd Amendment and 14th Amendments.
Click here to continue reading
- Written by Admin
- Category: Action Alerts
- Hits: 71
Governor Malloy is planning on implementing an Executive Order that would deny purchases of any firearm by citizens of Connecticut who may be on a Federal Government watch-list. There are many people on this list who do not belong there. Not only does Governor Malloy intend to decline purchases to those who may be on a government list, he intends to revoke pistol permits, long arm eligibility certificates, and ammunition certificates as well. This action would remove due process and violate the rights of any citizen affected.
When asked by media, the governor stated that people who are on this list should not possess firearms. This seems to indicate that Governor Malloy might be making plans to implement confiscation of firearms possessed by individuals who have not been charged or convicted of any crime.
Please Call and Flood Governor Malloy's Office Today!
Or leave an online response here: link
Let him know that this impending Executive Action is wrong. Feel free to use some of these points below in your statements:
Key Points about the Watch List:
1) For the purposes of this proposed legislation, a “terrorist” is anyone whose name appears on the FBI’s terror watch list. This is not a list of known terrorists. As the name implies, it is just a list of people the FBI is watching for information about terrorism. A person might be watched because a relative, acquaintance or coworker is suspected of terroristic actions. They themselves may be law-abiding citizens.
2) Anyone can mistakenly and unknowingly end up on the terror watch list. You do not have to commit any crime to be added to the list Infants, US senators, Nelson Mandela, and the entire Ford Motor Company have all been mistakenly added to the watch list.
3) There is no deliberate means to remove yourself from the list should you mistakenly end up on it.
4) The criteria to end up on the terror list are unclear and vague.
5) We do not have a clue who is adding names to this list. Adding someone to the list is purely a bureaucratic decision with no accountability, and no opportunity for an individual to refute being added to the list. If Malloy, Murphy and Blumenthal have their way, citizens who have been charged with no crime will lose their Constitutional rights with NO due process.
6) Gun sales to individuals who are on the watch list are already reported to and approved by the federal government. They decline the sales to actual criminals.
7) The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) has recognized that these lists are inaccurate, unconstitutional, and unfairly target Muslims and people of color, and is currently suing the federal government over their use. They also caution that these lists "shouldn't be used to restrict people's freedoms."
CCDL is concerned that if there is a person actually connected with terrorism, the revocation process will tip them off and possibly hamper a federal investigation.
ACLU - Until No-Fly List Is Fixed, It Shouldn't Be Used To Restrict People's Freedoms
CNN - No-fly nightmares: The program's most embarrassing mistakes
Huffington Post - 7 Ways That You (Yes, You) Could End Up On A Terrorist Watch List
The Boston Globe - Guns and the 'No-Fly' grandstanders